- How did ‘For Azerbaijan’ (FA) start?
In 2020 a group of professionals living in different countries around the world, originally from Azerbaijan, came together to discuss how to help the community and have an impact. We discovered that while many people were eager to help, the necessary infrastructure for getting this help to where it is most needed was missing. The seemingly simple task of sending money to charitable organizations or individuals was cumbersome and costly. Our Founding Members, outstanding professionals with diverse careers from all over the world, decided to take on this challenge and work to provide humanitarian relief to the most vulnerable people in Azerbaijan in a sustainable, transparent, and efficient way.
- How is this organization different from other initiatives?
We have built an effective and transparent philanthropic organization with the necessary infrastructure to deliver your contribution to people who need it in the most impactful way. Our movement brings together outstanding people, focused on creating an exemplary, best in class philanthropic organization dedicated to helping people in Azerbaijan. We are committed to full transparency and the highest standards of governance and accountability. Our core principles guide our efforts.
- How can I donate to For Azerbaijan?
By visiting our donation page. We offer several ways to donate, and are working to add more. In addition to one-time donations, we have also made it possible for donors to commit to recurring donations.
- How can I volunteer for the effort?
Please fill out this form to sign up to be a member.
- How can I track my donations?
When making a donation, you can choose a specific program to support. We will publish regular and up to date reports about our activities, performance, and impact on our webpage. All our donors are welcome to participate in the governance of FA. We are working to develop a platform that enables direct interaction between some donors and recipients when both parties are in agreement.
- How do you select beneficiaries?
Potential beneficiaries for each program will be evaluated with pre-specified criteria. When confirmed by our local office and/or partners, support under each FA program will be extended to beneficiaries who need it most. Some of our programs will have mentoring or matching features, so donors who have interest can directly interact with beneficiaries. We will publish selection criteria for each program in our reports.
- Does FA have partners in Azerbaijan?
We will partner with other philanthropic and humanitarian organizations as well as public agencies to deliver our programs on the ground effectively. Initially, we plan to rely mostly on reputable and tested local partners with experience working in communities. Over time, FA will build capability and infrastructure to deliver select programs itself.
- Who are the Founding Members of FA?
Click for a partial list of FA’s Founding Members.
- What do I get as a member of FA?
FA is not a membership-based organization. However, you are encouraged to join our movement by becoming a donor, partner, or volunteer, including taking part in governance. Please join our distribution list and follow us on social media:
Sign up for the updates.
Follow us on:
- How do you ensure transparency?
FA is committed to full transparency while respecting the individual privacy rights of our donors and beneficiaries. Our Board will monitor operations and ensure transparency. Strict governance rules for non-profit organizations in the United States also provide another layer of safeguards. Our donors are encouraged to participate in the governance of the organization.
- Is FA a commercial organization?
No, FA is a charity, currently awaiting 501.c.3 status approval in the United States.
- What portion of my donation directly supports your mission or service delivery?
For the first 3 years, 100% of the donations from the general public will go to support beneficiaries. All the overhead costs will be covered by Founding Members who have already committed contributions.
- How long will it take to receive a receipt for a donation?
Donations made through our website will receive immediate confirmation and receipt.
- Can I learn more about the people I help, or meet them?
We will have detailed reporting on our activities to ensure full transparency. Some of our programs will enable the donors to directly interact with beneficiaries. In general, we will try to strike the right balance between maintaining the privacy of beneficiaries with the need for maximum transparency.
- Will my donation, name, or any other information about me be public?
- I am filing my tax return and need the mailing address and tax ID for FA.
Our tax ID should be on your email receipt. If you cannot locate it, please contact us at [email protected] and we will get back to you shortly.
- I would like to contribute to a specific program or to relief efforts following a recent event that is not listed on your website. What do I do? How do I designate my gift to a particular event or cause?
You will be given an option to donate to a particular campaign on the donation page. If you cannot locate a particular relief effort among our campaigns on our website or would like to propose a new initiative, please fill out this form or contact us at [email protected] and we will assist you.
- Does the FA collect money for international disasters?
Currently, FA only collects money for disasters affecting people who live in the territory of the Republic of Azerbaijan.
- Will international donors receive a tax credit for donations to FA?
We are unable to offer tax credits at this point, but in addition to awaiting our tax exempt charitable status in the US, we also plan to explore tax-exempt status for FA in other countries.
- Do donors get tax breaks for their donations to the foundation?
Not at the moment, but we have applied for 501.c.3 status and once it is established, we will be forwarding donors the necessary information via email.
- I would like to donate clothes, cars, or other items to charity. Does FA accept in-kind donations?
We do not accept donated goods at this point.
- I want to help raise money for a specific family who was affected by a disaster. Can I make my gift through FA?
Yes, we are happy to offer our infrastructure to deliver help for people who need it in Azerbaijan. Please reach out by filling this form and we will be happy to assist.